A Quick Guide to Boxing Gloves
There are many different types of boxing gloves. Some are designed specifically for sparring while others are meant for bag training. Boxers of all types and skill levels will be able to find an affordable pair of gloves on eBay that suits their boxing needs.
What are the major types of boxing gloves?
There are four main types of boxing gloves:
- Bag gloves - Bag gloves are designed for lengthy bag sessions. They provide ample support to the hands and wrists, but theyre not as heavy as training gloves. This makes them ideal for endurance boxing and lengthy bag workouts.
- Training gloves - Training gloves can be used for any kind of boxing. These heavy, foam-filled training gloves can be used for sparring sessions, bag training, and more. Because the extra padding offers wrist and hand support, training gloves are ideal for beginner use.
- Sparring gloves - These options have less padding than training gloves and are generally used by boxers who have advanced beyond the beginner boxing level. Sparring gloves are light enough for use during a prolonged sparring session but sturdy enough to provide protection for everyday sparring.
- Competition gloves - Competition gloves have little padding, and theyre typically used by advanced boxers. They dont provide enough hand and wrist protection for ordinary sparring sessions or bag training.
What are boxing gloves made of?
Boxing gloves are primarily made out of three different materials:
- Genuine leather - Leather is the traditional material used for boxing gloves. High-quality leather has a number of benefits, including improved strikes and minimal abrasion. Over time, these boxing gloves will mold to the boxers hand, ensuring a great fit.
- Synthetic materials - Some boxing gloves are constructed out of synthetic materials, like vinyl. Vinyl boxing gloves are a popular choice for beginners, and they have a number of benefits. They prevent the boxing gloves from catching on targets, and they help to absorb blows.
- Polyurethane leather - This leather substitute looks and feels like real leather, and training gloves made out of these materials are durable and easy to use.
What sizes do boxing gloves come in?
Boxing gloves are traditionally sized according to weight. These weights are affected by materials and amount of padding. Typical glove sizes include:
- 8-ounce gloves to 10-ounce gloves - Lightweight gloves are generally used for competitions.
- 12-ounce gloves - These light training gloves have enough padding for everyday sparring and bag training, but not so much that it slows punches and reflexes.
- 14-ounce gloves - These training gloves have a bit more padding, and theyre often used by beginners.
- 16-ounce gloves - The 16-ounce gloves are traditionally used for sparring.
- 18-ounce gloves - Larger boxers sometimes use training gloves that weigh 18 ounces or more to add extra weight to training sessions.
What boxing gloves are available on eBay?
eBay offers a nice selection of new and used boxing gloves. Here are some choices to consider when making your selection:
- Brand - eBay offers brands such as Everlast, Fairtex, Twins, Adidas, Cleto Reyes, Ringside, and TITLE Boxing.
- Gender - Boxing gloves come in choices for men, women, adult unisex, boys, girls, and kids unisex.
- Color - Boxing gloves dont have to just be in basic colors like black, red, or white. You can get a range of solid colors as well as multi-colors like stripes, leopard print boxing gloves, and more.