Baby teethers have been used by parents for generations to soothe teething babies. There are many types of teethers in different materials, so the type of teether a parent chooses is widely based on personal choice and what provides the most relief to an uncomfortable baby. If a baby sees the teething ring as a toy, then it is more likely they will use it when their mouth begins to bother them.
What are baby teethers made of?
The most common teether materials have changed as technology has advanced. Years ago, wooden teethers were basically the only choice, or teethers were simply a babys favorite toy chilled in the freezer. Teethers are commonly made of silicone, natural rubber, cotton, hard plastic, and soft materials filled with water.
- Silicone Teether - Silicone is considered a safe alternative to rubber. It is considered hypoallergenic and is used in many baby products, including pacifiers and nipples.
- Natural Rubber Teething Ring - Silicone is a type of rubber, but when parents are looking for natural rubber teething toys, they are not looking for silicone products. Instead, they are looking for natural rubber, which is free of BPA, PVC, nitrosamine, and phthalates. Rubber teethers can be shaped like toys, created with handles, and designed with bumps for soothing gums.
- Cotton Teethers for Baby - Parents seeking a natural teether often turn to soft alternatives. These soft teethers come as small square blankets, bibs, and even material wrapped around non-toxic wooden teethers.
- Hard Plastic Teething Toys - Hard plastic teething toys are easy to clean and fun for a baby or toddler to use while playing.
- Teethers That Can Be Frozen - For some babies, the best cure for achy, irritated gums is cold. Any teether could be placed in the freezer to provide a few moments of relief, but a teether that is designed to be frozen will stay cold longer and provide an uncomfortable baby with longer relief.
What does EVA in a teething ring mean?
If you are concerned about the safety of your babys teething, youll want to choose something that is EVA safe or BPA free. EVA stands for ethylene vinyl acetate and is accepted by professionals as safe for use in baby teething rings. EVA is used in baby toys and products because it does not require the use of a plasticizer, which makes it BPA-free and non-toxic.